publish date 2021-06-13 20:43:54
“My country and if it neighbors me is dear, and my family, even if they think of me as honorable,” were the last quoted words of the late President Mohamed Morsi, before his death inside a glass cage in the Cairo Criminal Court, who witnessed the last moments of the life of the first democratically elected Egyptian president on June 17 / June 2019.
Days and the second anniversary of Morsi’s death, which is shrouded in criminal suspicion, and accusations from his family and the Muslim Brotherhood to the ruling military regime of causing his death through negligence of health.
Morsi has always complained before the judges of his trials about his health neglect, and an attempt to kill him in prison, while his family has announced more than once since his arrest following the July 3, 2013 coup, that he was subjected to solitary confinement, the decline in his health condition, and his ill-treatment.
In March 2017, an independent British parliamentary committee announced that Morsi was being held in conditions that “do not meet Egyptian and international standards,” and warned that they “could hasten his death.”
Despite the passage of two years, the file of research and investigation into the causes and circumstances of his death did not come to light, despite the announcement of a lawsuit filed by the Morsi family in the United Kingdom, through British international lawyer Karl Buckley, and despite what many human rights organizations announced that they had adopted the file.
In September 2019, the family of the late president demanded, through a conference at the Press Club in the Swiss city of Geneva, an investigation into the circumstances of the death of President Morsi, especially with evidence proving his killing, after being threatened more than once, and what he was exposed to in prison after the military coup.
The Egyptian authorities closed the file, and said that Morsi’s death was natural, after he suffered a heart attack during his court session in one of the six cases accused by the ruling military regime.
Regarding the fate of Morsi’s death file, and the lawsuits that were announced abroad, the official of the Foreign Relations Committee of the Egyptian “Freedom and Justice” party, Mohamed Sudan, expressed his deep regret that what has been done so far is not enough.
In his interview with Arabi 21, Sudan quoted the (Justice and Rights Without Borders) organization as saying that “international complicity prevented the trial of the killers of the legitimate president of Egypt; The organization filed a lawsuit before the French higher courts to request an autopsy on President Morsi’s body.
He added that the organization called in its lawsuit “to reveal the causes and circumstances of death; Unfortunately, there was clear complicity on the part of the court in not issuing such a decision.”
He stressed that, “of course, this is a political decision supported by an international coalition; But the organization is determined not to stop demanding the disclosure of the facts and circumstances of the assassination of President Morsi.”
The Egyptian politician believes that “the conspiracy began at the end of 2010, for the military council to seize power from Hosni Mubarak and his family, to implement a specific plan in Egypt. One of the items on this agenda is the implementation of the Deal of the Century, and Morsi announced from the first moment his rejection of such a scheme.”
He asserted that “it was necessary to remove Morsi from power in relation to international parties, and then Sisi turned against his president with local, regional and international support, but the presence of the legitimate president of the country alive, even if he was imprisoned, always troubled Sisi and his clique.”
The Egyptian human rights lawyer, Khalaf Bayoumi, said that “the file of killing Dr. Mohamed Morsi is one of the most important files that the regime seeks to obscure, by not taking effective steps towards investigating the causes of death, identifying those involved, and prosecuting them.”
The director of the “Al-Shehab Center for Human Rights” added, in an interview with “Arabi 21”: “Perhaps this approach is not new to the regime, which has ignored 9 appeals and distress from Dr. Mohamed Morsi about his life,” stressing that “the regime will not stop doing that, because opening the file means The trial of the symbols of the current regime.
He pointed out that “human rights organizations documented the violations committed against Dr. Morsi, and presented them in reports to all concerned parties to pressure for the case to remain alive and not die.”
He explained that “the lawsuits that were filed were based on communication from the family of Dr. Mohamed Morsi, and a legal office in England; So that the right does not fall by statute of limitations and the perpetrator of the crime does not escape punishment.”
The leader of the Brotherhood and Egyptian human rights lawyer, Dr. Ashraf Abdel Ghaffar, expressed his deep regret at the lack of “seriousness in any action against the coup, which raises question marks.”
He pointed out that “there are those in London who have entrusted the family of Dr. Morsi to file a case in European and international courts; But nothing as usual happened, and many cases were capable of destabilizing Sisi’s rule, including the Rabaa massacres, Al-Nahda, Ramses, the deportation car, and others.”
And he asserted that “the same applies to the death of an elected president of the republic who is overthrown, dies in front of the court, and the ambulance is delayed until he dies, even the representative of the United Nations, Agnes Callamard, issued a statement that he was killed and the death is not normal, and all of these crimes were waiting to be caught. tip of the line and seeks to prosecute those responsible.”
Abdel Ghaffar said: “It is not hidden that one of the international lawyers told me that he tried to help these parties convict Sisi, but he was surprised by the strange inaction. He said that accepting one of these cases was enough to shake Sisi’s international standing; Because he will become accused even if no sentences have been passed against him.”
He concluded his speech by saying: “But the question remains unanswered, who benefits from this strange silence of the Egyptian opposition while it is abroad and is not threatened by the Sisi regime, and it has the funds and capabilities? Unfortunately, there is not a single case now before the international and European courts against the Sisi regime.”
For her part, Egyptian human rights defender Heba Hassan said, “The death of the late president will remain a stain on Egypt’s history and reality. When he did not receive the death of the first elected president after a popular revolution in circumstances that coincide with wholesale human rights violations, threats and even calls for help, which he launched before his death from his prison through his family, his lawyer, and himself in court before the judges.
In her interview with Arabi21, the director of the Egyptian Coordination for Rights and Freedoms criticized “the lack of any interest or real steps for the sudden death that human rights and legal organizations and bodies have spoken about about the ambiguity surrounding it and the need to open a transparent investigation into its circumstances.”
She expressed her astonishment at the failure of “any party to pressure the Egyptian government to open an investigation despite the number of statements and calls two years ago,” considering that “unfortunately, this reflects selective justice applied by the world claiming fairness and the care of freedoms.”
Heba Hassan said: “As far as I know, the lawsuit that the Morsi family’s defense team announced its desire to file has not yet moved. This is due to the lack of a mechanism or entity that pressures the Egyptian regime to cooperate and open an investigation, in addition to what the family is exposed to from pressures.”
The coup forces have arrested lawyer Osama Morsi, son of the late president, since 2016, and the younger son, Abdullah, died suddenly and in mysterious circumstances, some also question its circumstances on September 4, 2019.
The Egyptian human rights lawyer believes, “This lawsuit will not be brought to light if there is no international will to force the regime to open the investigation, which requires human rights and political efforts and international relations to achieve the conviction that ignoring the catastrophic internal Egyptian situation will extend its harm to affect the stability of the region.”
#anniversary #death #fate #Morsis #death #file
Source : ألدستور